Thursday, October 20, 2005

My irrational rage towards the Liberal day-care plan.

I'll admit it outright - I become a raging idiot whenever I hear talk of the Liberal day-care fiasco. I'm not sure who exactly they're buying off with this garbage-from-beginning-to-end deal, and I don't much care. I'm not a profanity-type man, but I find many expletives come quickly to mind whenever it's even mentioned in passing. Why?

As a family man who has made many sacrifices to enable my wife to stay home with our children (and she's made sacrifices to be there as well), I find it incomprehensible that any thinking person would even consider, let alone draw up a plan and execute it, taking some of my tax money to pay for childcare for people who have two incomes. Income tax laws in Canada already penalize my wife and I because we don't shack up and work two jobs. Instead, we make do with one and find ourselves taxed to pay for those who have two incomes. To be momentarily rational, there are many people who have two working parents simply because they cannot afford to keep one at home. However, this bastard plan (oops, let one out) won't help a single person stay home to watch their own children, and it will further tempt people to get the second income, because it makes more financial sense, now that the Liberal government is rewarding people to farm out the kids and go out to work. Well, [expletive] you, Liberal government! We can pretty well decide for ourselves how to best care for/raise our own children. We don't need any [expletive] program to entice us to earn more money at the expense of home child-care. To mandate that provinces spend the money only on accredited child-care makes a mockery of the far-superior child-care my own kids receive at home - telling us that government knows best when it comes to what my kids need. Well, [expletive] you, once again!

I'm pretty mild-mannered, very 'Canadian' in a way. In fact, I'm becoming more and more aware of the many travesties Canadian governments have inflicted on us - and becoming less 'Canadian' by the minute. I may even come to hate the word 'tolerance' in time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Richard Francis said...

Well, I'm with you on this one.

The daycare should be a local, not national, affair, and I'd prefer just cash for the family to do with as it pleases, with some special consideration for single parents.

Why don't they just modify the child tax credit? Make it more/clawback less?

Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:35:00 p.m.  
Blogger Cyrano said...

Things like the child-tax credit become especially useful as the family grows. Congrats again on your new wee babe.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 10:19:00 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

I hear ya. The two-income family that (when I lived in Ontario) lived two doors down from us in the (much larger) house (on a corner lot) had a nanny, a car and an SUV, a travel trailer, regular trips, toys galore for the two kids... while we scraped and scrimped to just make payments on our house with one highly taxed income. I was livid when I saw how the numbers worked out - I saw myself as basically subsidizing their 'chosen lifestyle.' I did not envy their lifestyle (nor did I aspire to it) but I deeply resented paying for part of it.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 7:20:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home