Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Katrina thoughts

I'm pretty amazed at all the thoughts being laid out in the blogosphere about Hurricane Katrina - it's enough to keep you busy for a very long time. Seeing images of what's been going on there has made me think more than once that I wish I was philanthropically wealthy - in which case my kids and I would already be down there with a boat helping rescue people. I'm also liking the idea I've seen briefly of RV places donating campers to those displaced - giving them a temporary home, and something to sell to help get started again when (and where) they've decided to restart their lives.

There are a lot of comments flying about who's to blame for the delayed human response. I think the best one so far comes from Colby Cosh (check my side links, I'm too lazy to do the hyperlink just now): "The slow reaction of the federal authorities to the disaster can probably be attributed, in part, to a perfectly natural but mistaken assumption that New Orleans itself thought New Orleans was worth saving, and would take initial steps to do so."

Even with all the images, it's tough to really imagine what those people are going through (and, incidentally, people everywhere who have this type of calamity as a constant terror on the horizon).

Kudos to everybody actually doing something to fix this mess - I do wish I was actually there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cyrano said...

How sad, my first comment in a long while is spam from some medical company. (Hence the deletion)

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 11:30:00 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Hey - I got some spam too when I posted recently -- I see that some folks have instituted an anti-spamming device whereby you have to type the wavy letters you see before you can post your comment. May look into that if it keeps happening.

Re Katrina - I think the fact that civic and state authorities were supposed to take the lead in disaster evacuation and relief has now been adequately exposed, particularly by bloggers... not that this have ever stopped the whiners on the left -- who no doubt have found multiple ways to blame Bush for their most recent hangnail.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 5:36:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home