Sunday, July 24, 2005

One theory of enhanced global warming.

I'm quite skeptical when it comes to EGW. I am very anti-Kyoto, not just because it's an expensive cosmetic environmental treaty that will achieve (next to) nothing (even if the biggest CO2 emitters were to sign on, that is). I'm also anti-Kyoto because the pro-EGW crowd has failed to provide the burden of proof to change the status quo. Their arguments often come down to assertions that this is such a serious issue, we have to do something about it. Whoa, Nelly - don't get ahead of yourself there - first provide the evidence that justifies the action. Assertions followed by scare statements don't cut it for me. I'm a child of the 70's, and still have memories of being scared silly that a new ice age was coming, because that's what the environmental fad of the day was. You could say I've learned from past relationships, and don't plan to get burned again.

I thought I'd provide a few links discussing an alleged link between EGW and solar activity to further the discussion.

You may look here, here, here, here, and here. Note that these articles are a mixture for and against the solat activity link.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I have read, the earth has been warmer in the past. (without the aid of industry) We know volcanos have done more to influence weather than man ever has.
We may be able to use our knowledge to moderate the weather changes - maybe not.
Rather than the "Politicaly correct" global warming issue - I'd like to see man live in harmony with Mother Nature - because it is only "Natural"
I'd like to see farming that does not poison the land and water. I'd like to see industry that does not cause acid rain. That's not the PC warming thing - but would help us more in the short and long term.

Gary

Monday, July 25, 2005 10:51:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try this, don't waste your breath. Your site is lame. Only one comment?

Thursday, July 28, 2005 11:08:00 a.m.  
Blogger Cyrano said...

d.k. - thanks for pointing out my unpopularity. (images of no social skills in high school flashing before my eyes)

Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:30:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canadianna said...

cyrano -- I don't know if you went to dk's homepage, but apparently the person who commented here is not him. If you go to dk's page, and click on the archived title "How to create your own troll" (or something about trolls) you'll see.
That said -- I've always figured that that the earth has gone through many temperature changes, long before people could measure and calculate what was going on. We know there were ice ages, mini-ice ages and we know that there were periods when the earth seemed to warm up again. Why doesn't anyone think this is just the natural progression of the world?
When you think of the nuclear weapons detonated, oil fields set ablaze, chemical spills, etc. -- it would seem that the industrial and vehicular pollution ranks pretty small in comparision. Some things you can't undo -- Kyoto is smoke and mirrors. All it will do is cost money.

Saturday, July 30, 2005 10:11:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home