Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Soccer City Champs!

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention (probably) my favorite school city championship team. Our boys soccer team took the Div 1 championship this evening. Unfortunately, due to a school commitment, I was only able to observe the last half the game. Fortunately, the first half resulted in a 1-1 split. The boys (one in particular, a very talented young man who I happen to teach) played a great second half, scoring 2 to end with a 3-1 win.

I watched the semi-final game yesterday as well. These boys play very well together. Our 4 defencemen play extremely well together, and have been the anchor for a solid season (1 loss, in regular play, during the spring season). Unfortunately, our keeper has been a weak point these last 3 years (probably for several years before that too). When I was in teacher-training, I assistant coached a team with two very capable goalies. If you're watching soccer, don't underestimate the importance of a good goalie. These guys were exceptional, I think, because they were a little obsessive about their keeping. The younger of our two goalies (ie. the one returning next year) seems the better of our two, and perhaps with another season behind him, will have the confidence and better instincts of a top-quality goalie.

Congrats to the boys, and to their coach. A spectacular season all around!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home