Thursday, April 06, 2006

Hypochondriac, Know Thyself!

Really, this post is part of my therapy. Not that a doctor told me to do it, but what the heck.

About 5 years ago, I had a mole removed that was found to have been melanomic (real word, or did I just make that up?). Our family doctor certainly made it sound serious, and I was actually booked for a follow-up surgery about 7 days later (in Saskatchewan, it means it's really serious when you're not put on a 12 month waiting list). The dermatologist gave it the 99.9% clear signal and everything's been smooth sailing since, right?

Except, I was advised to begin having yearly physicals, and one in-between 'mole check' appointment. Don't get me wrong, every single check-up since the initial scare has been medically 'clean'. Unfortunately, in my head, moreso as time goes on, every ache and pain is a new cancer scare. The most recent began last summer-ish - headaches, heaviness in my limbs, sore eyes (more bloodshot than usual) - you're probably asking yourself, "when did you start blogging and spending extra time in front of the computer screen?". To which I say, "bugger off, this is my pity story".

Anyway, what to do in the Canadian health care system when you ask for tests for things in your body that don't feel quite the same as they have, and those tests come back showing nothing? Do you write it off as an overactive imagination? Do you continue bugging your doctor until he says he can't handle you as a patient anymore?

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home