Thursday, April 06, 2006

Center for Bioethical Reform

I'll drop back here sometime and put a link in this post here.

The CBR is the pro-life group that puts on the GAP presentations. For those of you not in the know, the Genocide Awareness Project is an innovative, in-your-face public demonstration of pictures showing parallels in images and language between abortion today, and well-recognized genocides of the past. The images and language are pretty compelling - likely to draw a reaction, both for and against, but mostly to inspire debate based on the physical reality of what abortion entails.

Calgary recently had GAP at the U of C for a couple of days. A friend of mine helped organize it, and gave me a call on the day of its first showing. I scoured the media, both that day and the second it was on, and didn't see a single reference to it in local media - the same media that would write a front-page story if two pro-abortion people held signs to protest 'lack of abortion access' in Canada. Maybe it's 'cause I don't have cable, but I didn't see or hear anything about it, except from my friend. Come to think of it, maybe I should ask him if he saw anything in the media.

As far as I'm concerned, I think GAP has a prominent role to play in pro-life activism today - it's essential that people confront the physical reality that 'choice' means for our society. If it can't be stomached to look at, it should tell us something about it. I remember the effect it had on me when a pro-life activist showed me a plastic-encased aborted fetus, about 10-12 weeks gestation. Many on the pro-choice side dismiss this biological reality, preferring to argue almost philosophically - some commenters on the CCBR site claim that the images are faked. I can't imagine the kind of denial people like that are in - shown the actual images of abortion, and refusing to accept them as real. I admire those who make the hard reality a part of their mission - it contrasts with my sometimes-abstract involvement.

The lady running the CBR will be speaking at a local event called 'Theology on Tap' this coming Monday evening. I don't have the info in front of me, but will try to reply by e-mail to you if you drop me a request for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home