Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Election Aftermath

Thoughts on the just-concluded federal election, in no particular order:

(a) I'm glad Stephen Harper won (which might not surprise anyone)
(b) Even though I didn't vote for him (I spoiled my ballot and said I wanted a pro-life candidate)
(c) I would definitely have reconsidered (b) if there were any doubts whether he would make it in. I may be a single-issue voter (when I have a choice), but will seek the best of what's available when it comes down to it.
(d) Kate's post on the 'morning in Canada', sums up the best hopes I have for our new government.
(e) I am very proud that the CPC made a breakthrough in Quebec. I'm not overly pandering to Quebec, or any other area of Canada - but to be shut out from such a large part of the country didn't bode well for the national appeal of the party.
(f) I am more than a little disgusted at Paul Martin, his outrageously negative and empty campaign, and the fact it still garnered him so many votes and seats.
(g) I was planning on going to the Telus centre to celebrate, but backed out at the last minute, intending to catch the results at home. Unfortunately, the main blogs had problems getting information out, and so I effectively waited until much later to find out/discuss the results.
(h) I have more confidence in the current Parliament than the last one, primarily because the Liberals no longer control the books.
(i) Paul Martin redeemed himself, just a little, right at the end of the night by bowing out quickly, instead of dragging it out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shane, I generally agree with your assessment. One question though - if you spoiled your ballot based on the pro-life issue, why not vote for the CHP candidate?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:00:00 p.m.  
Blogger Cyrano said...

I'm not sure if I have a good answer to that one. It was a toss-up for me, either spoiling it or CHP - both serve as a protest vote, in my mind. I wrote directly on the ballot that I'd vote for a pro-life CPC candidate.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:22:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you were willing to stand up for what you believe in, Shane. That is the way a democracy is supposed to be.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:08:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home