Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Harper Alienates Pro-Lifers

Stephen Harper recently announced that a Harper CPC government would not seek to implement a law restricting abortion. As a SoCon member of his Calgary SW riding, he just lost the opportunity to have a lawn-sign on my lawn. If I had a credible, pro-life candidate in my riding, he would also have just lost my vote. I'll have to check out the local candidates more closely.

I understand the lack of a CPC policy (and yes, the LPC is basically the same at the party level, in not seeking a law, despite many pro-life MP's). Unless I'm mistaken, there is a possibility of a private member introducing a pro-life bill, which (at least in the CPC) would receive a free vote. Maybe Harper sees it as his role to consistently make sure people understand the distinction between private members' bills and government bills, but as a constituent of the man himself, I cannot support him as a non-pro-life member of Parliament.

Give me a call when you're ready to discuss it, Mr. Harper.

UPDATE: Much of my consternation comes from something I read awhile back - Harper apparently wrote something several years ago about how he believes 'conservatism' is necessarily linked to social conservatism (which I'm willing to believe). Why, then, would he back down on this much-needed-to-be-debated issue? I've really got to do the blog-thing properly and find the links to include in my posts, hey?

2 Comments:

Blogger BillyHW said...

Stephen Harper has been disappointing.

Luckily my local CPC candidate seems to be pro-life (though I have my doubts about his passion for these issues).

We pro-lifers need to keep working at getting pro-life candidates nominated at the riding level (for all parties).

Saturday, January 14, 2006 11:52:00 p.m.  
Blogger Cyrano said...

Agreed. What would you do if your candidate was Stephen Harper himself? That's my dilemma, as I'm in Calgary southwest. The only pro-life candidate I have is in the Christian Heritage Party. I admit I haven't researched them much, but they just seem wacky. Yet, the few stands of theirs that I'm aware of, I support. It's mostly a non-issue, because Harper will win handily. Perhaps I could help send him a message by voting CHP - if enough of us do, it may signal to him that he's bleeding votes.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 10:51:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home