Sunday, June 05, 2005

Grade "A" Sappy

I've been spending about the last hour dreaming about ways that I can improve my front and backyards. I'm looking at adding a garage out front, and building a concrete retaining wall all the back, in place of the fence. I'd then build another fence on the retaining wall after filling in dirt behind the retaining wall. So far, so good. The thing is, to do all this, I have to take down 3 large pine trees - each about 30 or 40 feet high. I'm no animist (or whatever it is that believes the trees have spirits), but I'm feeling quite sad at the potential loss of these beautiful trees. I think it'd be a fun experience to do the lumberjack thing (I could sing a lumberjack song all the while, "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm o-kay ..."); give my chainsaw a little heretofore unknown experience; stock some firewood.

I'm sure I'll be able to do it when the time comes - but it's causing me some sadness and inner turmoil right now. By the way, I love steak - but I am extremely grateful that I don't actually have to raise and slaughter the things. Just a sappy city-boy, I guess.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Richard Francis said...

"If you can't kill it, don't eat it." - some say.

So I could eat cat, but not dog? :)

Seriously, you have to keep those roots away from retaining walls. They can worm their way through anything.

Look at this optimistically: Plan to plant some new trees!

Monday, June 06, 2005 12:50:00 a.m.  
Blogger Cyrano said...

Yes, that is the positive way of looking at it. We will be planting at least a couple of new trees (probably a fruit tree and maybe a weeping willow). I am a cat owner, and if he died, it still wouldn't be quite the same thing with a new cat - I guess we are just doomed to get attached and then suffer when the attached person/animal/thing dies. It's a good thing it's only a tree.

Monday, June 06, 2005 11:43:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home