Thursday, May 19, 2005

A Dodged Bullet

I am positively giddy tonight (that's why I'm posting so late at night).

I suspect Paul Martin and quite a few other government ministers won't be quite so happy. While I wish the man and his henchmen no personal harm - I can't adequately describe the elation I feel that Mr. Gerwal's audiotape is bringing to me. There is finally undeniable proof that the Liberals have been operating illegally, in a way that even the most die-hard supporters will not be able to flippantly explain away. I fully expect them to lose the budget vote tomorrow, and for us to enter an election forthwith. Don't get me wrong, the Liberals are not the almighty satan (although perhaps he is using them as a temporary 'incarnation'); and the Conservatives certainly may occupy that position some day. I have felt for a long time now (years, it seems) as though Canada is in democratic free-fall - the events in Ottawa of late have only accelerated that feeling, until the audiotape; to me, it's like a branch that we have to enable us to climb out of the abyss we have known for so long now.

If we were not able to cling to something, ANYTHING, to restore some credibility to our public institutions, then I believe the bullet that is currently being dodged would have found its way into our thick craniums, with unpredictable results.

As someone else recently said, certainly the Saints are praying for us now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, my guts are churning.

My fondest hope is that someone, Blaikie, Broadbent, O'Brien,- anybody- sees that the defence of Parliament's conventions are far more important than any one budget.

There will always be budgets. There may not always be Parliaments.

BTW, I greatly appreciated your comments on SSM at Coyne's the other day.

Cheers

Thursday, May 19, 2005 2:18:00 a.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Best use of my time today: storming heaven...

Thursday, May 19, 2005 7:35:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home